Each Child Unique. Each Child Talented. All Children Cherished.
St. Ita’s Primary School has been chosen this year to be part of the !
We are teaming up with the country’s leading sustainable transport charity, Sustrans, to encourage more journeys to school by foot or wheels. Active travel, such as cycling, walking and scooting to and from school, has a range of benefits including:
• improving health through physical activity;
• promoting independence;
• improving safety awareness;
• benefiting the environment;
• reducing the number of cars around the school gates, making our school safer for everyone.
We will be working closely with Claire Lundy, our Sustrans Active Travel Officer, who will help us promote active travel throughout the year:
• organising to encourage pupils to cycle, scoot and walk to school;
• offering to help pupils ride safely and feel more confident on their bikes;
• working to get , including bike and scooter parking;
• so that they can help support the programme.
We understand cycling or walking to school is not easy for every family, and there will be opportunities for all children to participate in some activities.
Parents can help by accompanying their children to and from school and ensuring children are wearing helmets and bright clothes to help them be seen by other road users. The decision as to whether a child is competent to cycle, scoot or walk to and from school rests with the parents/carers.
If you are interested in helping out or have any questions about the project, please get in touch. You can also support this initiative by watching out for cyclists and pedestrians on your journey to school.
We look forward to seeing more children and parents/carers cycling, walking and scooting to school this year!